- This event has passed.
Exploring the Murals and Mosaics of Spanish Harlem
November 26, 2022 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm$39.47
From honoring citizens of the neighborhood to showcasing the gorgeous scenery from the tropical islands that so many members of the community left behind, the colorful murals and mosaics of Spanish Harlem reveal so much about the history, culture, and politics of this neighborhood and its residents. But what’s the story behind these incredible works of art and subjects they’re portraying? It’s time to explore the street art of Spanish Harlem and the strong political and social messages of these talented artists.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the murals and mosaics of Spanish Harlem, a group of independent artworks that together tell the collective story of a truly interesting, but often underappreciated, neighborhood of New York City.
Led by licensed New York City tour guide Leigh Hallingby, our on-the-ground tour of this incredible collection of artworks will include:
- A brief history of Spanish Harlem and its people in the past and present
- A walk past dozens of murals and mosaics, along with commentary about the art and the artists
- An examination of how the murals link the struggles of different Latinx people such as Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Mexicans
- The story behind the gifted artists who received commissions from the City of New York as part of initiatives to add more public art to neighborhoods with large Latinx communities
- Exploration of additional themes of cultural celebration, immigration, and physical fitness
See you there!
*Please bring a water bottle and comfortable pair of shoes as we’ll be doing a lot of walking!
**Our experience will conclude at East 100th St. and Lexington Ave.
**Cited from https://www.eventbrite.com/e/exploring-the-murals-and-mosaics-of-spanish-harlem-registration-456979878117?aff=ebdssbdestsearch**